How MnPASS works
MnPASS Express Lanes are designed for solo drivers to use by paying an electronic fee. Small, two-axle trucks weighing less than 26,000 pounds can also open an account and use the express lanes. Transit buses, carpools with two or more people and motorcycles can use the express lanes for free. See metro area express lane locations.
A variable electronic fee is charged to people using MnPASS Express Lanes. As the express lanes become more congested, the fee to enter the lanes increases. This increase slows the number of cars entering the lane, increasing the speed of the vehicles already in the lane. If express lanes aren't tolled in this fashion, the lanes would not be an express option for motorists. See our frequently asked questions for extra guidance.
MnPASS rate signs will read "OPEN" when the lane is open to general traffic. The signs will show a price when fees are in effect. Fees are enforced Monday through Friday during peak travel times:
- I-394 from 6 to 10 a.m. and 2 to 7 p.m.
- I-35W from 6 to 10 a.m. and 3 to 7 p.m.
Lanes are open to the public on weekends and during non-peak hours.
General traffic that intends to use the "OPEN" lanes must access the MnPASS lane at the entry/exit points in the corridor. By state law, traffic cannot cross double white lines, and violators face a $142 fine.
The reversible section of the MnPASS system on I-394 which lies between Hwy 100 and I-94 is always tolled, and may have a special schedule based on events occurring downtown.
- The reversible lanes will operate to the east from 6 a.m. until 1 p.m. at which time they will be closed to all traffic for the directional change.
- The reversible lanes will operate to the west from 2 p.m. until 5 a.m. at which time they will be closed to all traffic for the directional change.
- On the weekends, the lanes will be switched back to the east at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday.
- NOTE: There may be special events that dictate switching the reversible lanes to the west. When this is done, they will remain in that direction until the weekday directional change prior to the east opening at 6 a.m.